Sunday 12 October 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today we will be going to my parent's house for a family dinner to celebrate Thanksgiving.  It will be nice to get together with some of my family.  I come from a very larger family (I'm one of five kids and have 10 nieces and nephews) and we're not always able to all get together for the holidays.  It doesn't help that my one sister lives in Winnipeg!  It will be nice to visit with those that are able to make it, spend time catching up and seeing how the kids have grown!    I choose to focus on enjoying being with my family instead of focusing on the food.

My family is no different than most, when we get together there is always food.  And usually lots of it!  I have made a plan as to what I'm eating and while watching people enjoy the cheesecake I made I will remind myself that although I could have a piece I choose not to.  I have come too far to let one piece of cheesecake be my downfall.

I have tried loosing weight MANY times in the past and in the past I have allowed for "cheat days" or "rewards" or "just one piece for the occasion".  What I have found in the past is that I start to find more and more reasons to allow myself permission to have the things I know I shouldn't.  The guilt that comes after that is too much and I have many times thrown in the towel after slipping one day.  I don't know why this time has clicked so much this time but it has.  I think there are many factors.  The first being the support I have from my husband who walks beside me in this quest.  Second being that I knew if I didn't make some serious changes in my life I was headed down a very bad path health wise.  I choose to have a longer life and be around as long as possible to drive my husband crazy!

So for this Thanksgiving, I choose to focus on visiting with my family.  I will eat the food but have made a plan as to what I'm going to eat.  Stuffing but skip the potatoes.  No dessert but still have a snack at home later.  I know I can do this as I have already survived many family dinners in the last 14 months.  I will not make today about the food I'm not having but be happy with the food I am having.  Most importantly I will have a nice visit with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory Business Pages - OnToplist.com