Wednesday 8 October 2014

Rewards and Visual Reminders

Today I wanted to talk about one of the ways that help keep me motivated throughout this quest that Munkee and I are on.  That is rewards and visual reminders.  I know it seems pretty obvious but not everyone thinks of it.

Rewards should be given throughout and can vary depending on your budget and the goal you've reached.  One thing we've done is create success boards for ourselves.  We've put the phrase "The Road to Success" on the board and for every 5 pounds we put a sticker on it, every 10 pounds we put a "ribbon" on it (made from a foam bookmark), and every 25 pounds we get a different coloured "ribbon".  So when we get 10 or 25 pounds you still get a 5 pound sticker and at 50 or 100 pounds you still get a 5 pound sticker and a 10 pound "ribbon".  I have flowers and butterflies for my 5 pound stickers and through in special Mickey Mouse stickers for each 25 pounds lost.  For Munkee he had smiley faces and stars.  We hung them in our closet as this is a place we go daily and is a constant reminder of how far we've come.

My Success Board


Munkee's Success Board


There are other ways to reward yourself as well.  New clothes.  A trip to the spa for a manicure or pedicure.  A new book or movie.  I don't recommend using food as a reward but that's my opinion.  Three very good friends of mine actually gave me a reward after I had lost 100 pounds to celebrate the achievement.  They gave me a ticket to go see The Book of Mormon and I got a night out with a friend!  I was so touched by the gesture!

For visual reminders you can use many things.  Carry around a before picture and when you feel yourself struggling look at it and remind yourself how far you've come.  Keep some of your before clothes.  I have my outfit from the picture I posted yesterday.  Another visual reminder I have at work is a paper clip chain on my baffle.  One paper clip for each pound lost.  Most people don't know what it represents but I do and it's nice to the chain grow.

Rewards and visual reminders are important to do no matter how much weight you are trying to lose because it helps keep you focused and moving forward to the final goal......Your goal weight!  (I can't wait to get there!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory Business Pages - OnToplist.com