Thursday 9 October 2014

The Challenge of Going Out to Eat

This post is coming on the heals of a work lunch out at The Mandarin.  For those who may not know that is a Chinese buffet restaurant.  Yes, I went to a buffet!  It's the second time I've been there since we started the quest and I wanted to shout from the rooftops "I survived the buffet!!!!" or at least have gotten a button on the way out!

Unless you live under a rock, you can't avoid going out for meals.  Whether you are going to a restaurant or to some's house, it's a challenge.  I have anxiety when I have to go out to eat.  It takes things out of my control and I know I will be faced with items I would love to eat but choose not to.  The biggest tip I can give you for going out to eat is plan, plan and plan some more.  

For a restaurant, planning is pretty easy.  First you plan what you're going to eat at the restaurant, most restaurants have menus online these days so you can easily do that.  Then once you've planned what you are going to eat at the restaurant, plan what you're going to eat for the other meals and snacks.  You still need to eat your three meals and snack if you have one, skipping meals is never a good idea.  You also need to plan on how to deal with temptations.  You can't control what other people order and you may end up sitting beside someone eating french fries.  Just remind yourself that you planned what you were eating and you will feel better for eating what you planned vs. going off your program.

For eating at someone else's house it can be a bit more tricky.  If it'a a close family or friend you can talk to them about what they may be serving or offer to bring something that you know is within your comfort zone of eating.  If you can get an idea of what is being served you plan the same as a restaurant.  If you are going to someone's home and you aren't able to plan ahead remember vegetables are your friend, choose lean meats and stay away from stuff with creamy sauces/dressings.

Another thing you may have to deal with when going out to eat is the comments from others, "is that all you're eating" or "there are other things that you can eat" or "it's only one bite".  They mean well but you need to stick to your plan and be prepared to deal with the comments.  My response today was "yes, I can eat other things but I choose not to".  At the end of the day it is your choice.  You choose what you want to eat.  You choose what means the most to you, the few bites of not so good food or the sticking to your plan for a healthier you.

Remember, you are in control of your choices and only you have to live with what you choose and you have to be happy with what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory Business Pages - OnToplist.com