Tuesday 7 October 2014

My Moment

So today I want to share my moment with you.  The moment when I knew I had to make some serious changes in my life or I would be sending myself to a very early grave....

I am a HUGE Murdoch Mysteries fan.  It's a Canadian show based on the amazing books by Maureen Jennings (who is very nice, I've met her!).  It doesn't hurt that there are a few very easy on the eyes actors on the show!  Anyways, I had an opportunity to go with a friend and immerse myself in all things Murdoch Mysteries for a weekend, including set tour, meet and great with cast and crew, a panel discussion and a wonderful dinner.  I was so excited and enjoyed the experience so much.  Loved meeting everyone and seeing how much they love their jobs and their fans.  



While reflecting on all the excitement from the weekend and looking at my pictures I started to realize I really didn't like looking at the pictures with me in it.  Something that should have been so happy for me wasn't so much.  Then I started thinking about all my aching joints, the doctor's warnings of high blood pressure and the potential need to go on medicine for it, the fact that I was waking up every day with a super dry mouth and just having no energy to do anything.  It had become habit to press the easy button and just to grab something on the way home for dinner and not the good kind of something easy.  The cupboard, fridge and freezer was like walking into a variety store with several varieties of chips, chocolate bars, ice cream treats and more always on had.  Not good.

So while looking at the pictures from my bucket list experience I realized I needed to do something about my life or I was only helping to dig my own grave.

Munkee is very much an all in kind of guy but the problem with that is making this kind of a change takes planning and organization, we needed to have the right foods in the house and get rid of the temptations.  So on August 13, 2013 we started working out.  I am not a "go to the gym" kind of person so we have chosen to use a video game system designed for exercise in our home.  Who knew a video game could help you lose weight?  We started slowly as we knew this was a life change and would need to ramp things up as time went on.  Over the course of the week we went through the cupboards, fridge and freezer to figure out what was good and bad (most of it bad) for a healthier lifestyle and got rid of everything that wasn't good.  Yes, we got rid of it!  Didn't want the temptation in the house at all.  Friday night we spent HOURS in two grocery stores looking at products, reading labels and choosing the food items that would help us the most in our quest.  We also had a "last supper" from our favorite local deli to remind us once again of why we were doing this.  On Saturday August 17, 2013 we started full force with exercise and eating going hand in hand.

Since that time I have tracked everything we have eaten,  exercised daily (well ok, I missed one day but that was because of an ice storm and subsequent power outage) and tried to maintain a healthier mindset.  

I'm not going to say it's always been easy, I'm a baker and love to bake but I know, for me, it's a slippery slope.  Give myself an excuse once to "cheat" and I'll find more.  I have been down the weight loss road MANY times before and have always put the weight back, plus a little extra for good measure.  For whatever reason, this time has truly clicked and I have been able to keep my focus on doing better for me.  You have to do what is right for you and it has to be something you can maintain for the rest of your life.  I know once I reach my goal weight I can't go back to my old habits or I'll end up back where I was.

So today, on October 7, 2014 I am no longer waking up with a super dry mouth, I went to my doctor last week and she was happy with my blood pressure and progress with my weight loss, I still get aching joints but more when I've added a bit more to my workouts and I have lost 118 pounds off my body.  Holy crap!  118 pounds!  That's just crazy!



So I have added back to my bucket list a do-over of my picture with the cast of my favorite Canadian tv show, Murdoch Mysteries so I can look at it with happier thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Melissa. It takes a lot of determination to do this!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Directory Business Pages - OnToplist.com