Monday 13 October 2014

Scale doesn't always reflect the work you do

So I said I would use this blog to talk about the good, the bad and the ugly of the quest I am on.  Today is the not so good side of it and I will talk about how I turned it into good.

So as I said yesterday, I had a big family dinner at my parent's house for Thanksgiving.  I had a plan for food, a bit of turkey and ham, stuffing instead of potatoes, lots of free veggies, coleslaw and some pickles.  I stuck to that.  I weighed my meat to ensure I didn't eat too much.  I served up the apple crumb-top cheesecake and ensured leftovers of the cheesecake were sent home with others.  I came home and had the snack I had planned.  Everything went as planned until..... I stepped on the scale this morning.

As I have said, the fitness program we use has you weigh daily, not my favourite thing but I do it.  It was not my friend this morning.  I was up a bit and I was disappointed.  I did everything I planned.  I didn't eat the appetizers that were set out.  I didn't lick my fingers when serving up the cheesecake.  I didn't have seconds.  I STUCK TO THE PLAN!  Why didn't the scale reward me for sticking to the plan?  Stupid scale!

This is where Munkee jumps in and becomes my voice of reason.  For those of you that know us, that may sound strange as I tend to be the more, ummmm, responsible of the two of us but Munkee has the amazing ability to calm me when I'm ready to throw in the towel.  I would never throw in the towel over a little weight gain but it is frustrating when you feel you've done everything right, especially when it was a more challenging situation.

So if I really look back at yesterday there were a few things I didn't do the best.  I didn't drink enough water by a long shot.  I also ate later than normal.  We normally are finished eating, snack and all, but 7:00 pm which gives us two or three hours of digesting time before going to sleep.  Last night is was almost 9:00 pm by the time we finished our snack which left less than an hour for our food to digest.

Also, today's weigh-in isn't a reflection on my week.  It was one day and I base my progress on one weigh-in day a week.  That is Saturday.  Today was a blip on the quest and I will continue to move forward.  I have come too far to let one day on the scale get to me.  I take these as opportunities to learn from and move forward.  I can't change what the scale said but the scale isn't the only measure of success.  I wore a new outfit yesterday and it was outside my comfort zone.  I had a wonderful time visiting with my family.  I did stick to my plan for what I was going to eat.  This quest is about learning and growing.  Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory Business Pages - OnToplist.com